Tag Archives: SSL Certificates
Why Your Website Security Matters Now More Than Ever
Cybersecurity, hacking, data breaches — these are the words that every business dreads. A report earlier in the year, by cybersecurity firm Shape Security, revealed that 80%–90% of the login attempts made on retailers’ websites are hackers using stolen data. No wonder business owners like you are wearier and more aware of website security than ever before.
According to a study by KPMG, 19% of consumers would stop shopping at a retailer altogether following a breach; 33% would take a break from shopping there for an extended period. With these stats, online retailers can’t afford to take a relaxed view towards website security, especially with Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up.
Your customers value security: to trust your brand, they need to feel safe when browsing your products online. Just as they need reassurance, we want to reassure you that you can easily achieve website security and safety.
5 Ways We Ensure Our Clients’ Website Security
1) iThemes Security Pro
The security of the websites we manage on behalf of clients is underpinned by the reliable WordPress Security Plugin, iThemes Security Pro, designed by WordPress security experts.
The powerful tool boasts features such as malware and harmful files detection, lockouts of malicious IP addresses, who may be generating a lot of 404 errors by using a bot to scan your website for vulnerabilities, and limits on the number of failed login attempts permitted per user with WordPress brute force protection.
2) Nightly Website Backups
It would be a nightmare if you were to suddenly lose all your valuable website content. That’s why we make backups every night. In the highly unlikely event that anything should go wrong, we can restore clients’ websites with the previous night’s backups.
We provide further peace of mind with our state-of-the-art cloud hosting platform. It is incredibly resilient and therefore very rarely takes client websites offline.
3) SSL Certificates
Now an industry standard, businesses shouldn’t underestimate the value of the reassuring padlock next to the ‘https://’ bit of your website URL — a.k.a. an SSL certificate. Without an SSL Certificate, your website is likely to be labelled ‘Not Secure’. I don’t know about you, but that would deter me from browsing a website any further!
We can set up SSL certificates, enabling customers and website visitors to trust our clients’ brands online. You can read more about the benefits of SSL certificates, which include warranty protection for online transactions, increased online safety and higher conversion rates here.
4) Strong Random Passwords
Gone are the days where you could use the same password again and again — despite it being easier to remember! We take the time and make the effort to use randomly generated passwords that are impossible to guess. Such passwords include a random combination of upper- and lower-case letters, numbers and symbols.
Password manager and digital wallet, LastPass, has a great password generator which you can find here.
5) Two Factor Authentication and Strong Logins
For an added layer of security, we don’t just have unique usernames and randomly generated strong passwords. We also either have codes emailed to us or temporary access codes generated in real-time by the Google Authenticator app on our phones. We need these codes, as well as usernames and passwords, each time we log in to work in the ‘back-end’ of a client’s website or add a blog post.
What’s more, the ‘nicknames’ we use, which appear as the ‘authors’ of blog posts, differ from our login usernames. This makes it harder for hackers to guess them and gain access to client websites.
Secure Your Customers Trust by Protecting Them on Your Website
If you would like to enhance your website security, or you have any concerns, contact us on 01484 290 100 and we’ll be happy to help!
As business owners we all want our customers to feel reassured, comfortable and secure, don’t we? This is especially the case when it comes to their data and security. If clients didn’t feel safe and protected they wouldn’t continue to use your service.
But how can you make your clients feel happy and secure when they visit you online?
An SSL Certificate that’s how! Standing for Secure Socket Layer, this security technology is rapidly becoming the industry standard- trusted and expected. It involves encrypting data sent between a web server (i.e. your website) and a visitor’s (for example, your customer’s) web browser. A valid SSL certificate ensures the session between your company’s website and visiting browsers is secure and private.
Chances are you have been on websites that have an SSL certificate installed on their servers but you’d be forgiven for not noticing them as you may not even know what you’re looking for!
When a valid SSL certificate is successfully installed you’ll notice that the ‘HTTP’ part of the URL in your browser search bar will change to ‘HTTPs’ with this little ‘s’ standing for ‘secure.’ The SSL certificate may represent itself as a small padlock symbol or a manifest itself as a green bar when you browse a website that has a verified SSL certificate installed. What the SSL looks like does depends on what web browser you’re browsing the net on and which type of certificate was purchased.
SSL Certificates have to be issued by a trusted Certificate Authority and unfortunately paid for.
Why are SSL certificates such a worthwhile investment?
If your company operates online via an e-commerce website like many of our clients at Pivotal Web Solutions there are several reasons to take the plunge and invest in a SSL certificate for your business, including:
- Protecting your clients’ details and website’s data with solid industry-standard 256-bit encryption so data- including payment details- is remains secure between servers and web browsers.
- A secure website has to be a huge bonus, so it’s no surprise that Google has announced that having an SSL certificate influences how high your website ranks in search engine rankings and who doesn’t want to be top dog on Google?!
- Every business owner craves those coveted high conversion rates. It’s been proven that SSL certificates have enhanced and boosted conversion rates by making sure sites are safe online places to buy from.
- Gives your customers that peace of mind and confidence knowing they are on a safe website they can trust, so they can browse your website carefree. Happy customers are more likely to buy!
- Another benefit is being able to prevent being hacked and your website being used or mistaken as fake as part of a phishing con. Phishing scams often entail sending unsuspecting people emails linking to bogus versions of legitimate websites. An SSL shows your business website is reliable and genuine.
- Many SSL certificates come with warranty protection so your clients are insured against loss suffered from transactions carried out online.
- It’s understandable if you’re a little sceptical and think SSL Certificates are just another ploy for digital marketing agencies and web developers to get more money out of you, but they really are becoming more and more common in the e-commerce world. Ranking and conversion rate boosting, they are surprisingly cheap and quick to install.
For a helping hand in choosing the right SSL Certificate Authority to buy from for you and support in implementing your company’s website SSL certificate drop us a line on: email@example.com or gives us a ring on 01484 290100.